TABLE OF CONTENTS
Gilbert R. Upchurch, Jr., MD
William A. Marston, MD
William D. Jordan, Jr., M.D
David L. Cull, MD, MBA
Matthew S. Edwards, MD
Eric D. Endean, MD
W. Charles Sternbergh III, MD
Melissa Kirkwood, MD
Patrick A. Stone, MD
Representative to SVS
Michael B. Freeman, MD
From the Secretary
2021 ANNUAL MEETING
William D. Jordan, Jr., MD
The 45th Annual Meeting of The Southern Association for Vascular Surgery will be held January 27-30, 2021 at the Westin Kierland in Scottsdale, Arizona. Details regarding the meeting in Arizona and hotel registration information will be mailed in the fall. Make your plans now and block your schedule to attend this meeting. You should register early for the Annual Meeting and secure a room within the SAVS block as well as make your airline reservations early to obtain the best possible fares and itinerary. Phoenix Sky Harbor airport (PHX) is the main commercial airport serving Scottsdale, but there smaller airfields in the area if one seeks a more adventurous travel experience
All abstract submissions will be on-line at meeting.savs.org. For additional information regarding abstracts, please contact the Associationís Administrative Office, 500 Cummings Center, Suite 4400, Beverly, MA 01915 (978) 927-8330 / Fax: (978) 524-0498. Submission deadline for abstracts for the 2021 Annual Meeting is Tuesday, September 1, 2020.
S. Timothy String Presidentís Award
The S. Timothy String Presidentís Award will recognize the best overall paper presented during the 2020 Annual Meeting. The award consists of $5000 and will be presented at the Annual Meeting in Scottsdale.
The Founders' Award is for original clinical or basic science papers presented by a trainee (Residents, Fellows or Students). This award, which consists of $5000, will be presented at the 45th Annual Meeting in Scottsdale. Eligibility is extended trainees of programs located in states comprising the membership of the Southern Association for Vascular Surgery.
Postgraduate Course on a Current Vascular Topic
A postgraduate course will be held on Wednesday, January 27, 2021 and will feature a current vascular topic to be decided. Please contact the SAVS office at (978) 927-8330 or email@example.com for further details.
Mock Oral Board Examinations
Mock oral board examinations will be offered to individuals preparing for the Vascular Surgery Certifying Examination. Examinees should reside in the states comprising the SAVS region. Individuals interested in either taking the examination or serving as an examiner should contact Dr. David Cull at firstname.lastname@example.org. Those interested in taking the exam must complete the supplemental form found on the SAVS website.
Members who wish to invite non-member physicians as their guests should contact the office of William D. Jordan, Jr., M.D. Division of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy, Emory University, TEC Building A, Room 2245, 1365 Clifton Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30322, SAVS@emory.edu. Invited guests will receive a letter of invitation and the necessary reservation forms as well as meeting information.
Active, Candidate, and Corresponding Memberships
If you wish to sponsor a colleague for SAVS Membership, an application form must be requested from the Secretary-Treasurer by the sponsoring member.
Qualifications for Active Membership:
- The active membership consists of those surgeons recommended by the Executive Council from the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and Washington, DC (the bylaws allow for up to 15% of members to reside outside the geographical area of the SAVS);
- Applicants must be certified by the American Board of Surgery (ABS) and/or the American Board of Thoracic Surgery, and, with rare exception, be graduated from an approved vascular surgery training program and be certified by the Vascular Surgery Board of the ABS. Note: we no longer require Fellowship in the American College of Surgeons
- Applicants not certified by the Vascular Surgery Board of the ABS must document at least fifty (50) major peripheral vascular reconstructive procedures in each of the three years preceding application, exclusive of residency and fellowship training;
- The application must be accompanied by one (1) letter of sponsorship and two (2) letters of endorsement by three Active members in good standing of the Association. One of these members must be from the Applicant's home state.
Qualifications for Candidate Membership:
- The candidate membership consists of Fellows and Residents in approved Vascular Surgery training programs, General Surgery residents accepted into approved Vascular Surgery training programs, or Vascular Surgeons who do not yet meet the requirements for active membership within the region of the SAVS;
- A letter of sponsorship is required from either the applicantís Program Director or a member in good standing of the Association from the applicant's home state;
- Candidate membership has a maximum term of 3 years following completion of training.
Qualifications for Corresponding Membership:
- Corresponding membership consists of those surgeons residing outside the United States recommended by the Executive Council.
- Applicants must meet the requirements for Active Membership in Article I, Section 5(a) of the bylaws.
- Certification in Vascular Surgery from the American Board of Surgery or its equivalent is highly desirable.
The application must be accompanied by one (1) letter of sponsorship and two (2) letters of endorsement by three Active members in good standing of the Association. All application materials should then be returned to the office of the Secretary-Treasurer, William D. Jordan, Jr., M.D., Division of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy, Emory University, TEC Building A, Room 2245, 1365 Clifton Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30322. SAVS@emory.edu
Deadline for consideration at the 2021 meeting is October 1, 2020. Please start your process early!